North Carolina citizens creating solutions for open government
CityCamp NC is three days of open sourced talks, workshops, and hands-on problem solving, to re-imagine the way the web, applications, technology, and participation will shape the future of NC cities.
CityCamp brings together government, business, neighborhood, non-profit, and academic communities to work toward next generation solutions for local municipalities. You don’t need to be technical either–we need ideas from a variety of participants to help create solutions.
The purpose is to highlight the power of participation, promote open source in local government, and explore how technology is used to increase government transparency. CityCamp NC will foster communities of practice and create outcomes for participants both during, and after the event.
We want to collaborate and create the next generation of government using community-based solutions. CityCamp NC is how open government, “Gov 2.0,” goes local–and you can join the movement.
What is CityCamp?
CityCamp is a series of events, first started in Chicago, focused on innovation for government and community organizations in our cities. Each CityCamp has four main goals:
- Bring together government officials, municipal employees, experts, programmers, designers, citizens and journalists to share perspectives and insights about the cities in which they live
- Create or maintain government transparency and effective local governance using the web as a platform
- Foster communities of practice and advocacy on the role of information and open data in cities
- Create outcomes that participants will act on during and after the event
CityCamp explores and documents ideas, lessons learned and best practices that can be implemented within and shared across municipalities, anywhere in the world. Of particular interest is the use of social/participatory media, mobile devices, linked open data, and the idea of the “Web as a platform.”
CityCamp recognizes that local government, business, and community organizations have the most direct influence and impact on our daily lives. This event looks to connect local communities who are dedicated to design, process, and technology applications that make cities more open and “user friendly.”
CityCamp NC is designed for active audiences and split into three days of discussions, workshops, and hands-on design, largely created and led by attendees. The format of the event is designed for action and as a launchpad for ongoing innovation and participation between otherwise disconnected groups in the city. CityCamp NC is actively looking for sponsors.
Anyone who is interested in improving your city. You don’t need to be technical to participate.
Contact / Email
- If you need to email us about something, send a note to the planning committee co-chair, Jason Hibbets. [The best way to contact us is to message @CityCampNC on Twitter or post to our Facebook page.]