The Triangle Wiki is an ambitious community effort to document the Triangle – one building, person, and place at a time. Anyone can contribute content, edit content, or make comments because the site uses wiki software. It’s community built and community owned. In preparation for the imminent launch, a content sprint session is planned for February 25 to create as many new pages as possible in one day.
The Triangle Wiki organizers seek contributors in the following areas of interest:
Knowledge – Those with extensive knowledge of local lore — of a building, neighborhood, “effort” person, place or entire region — are encouraged to attend and share their story.
Photography – Each page of the wiki should feature a relevant photo, so photographers are encouraged to actively contribute to the wiki.
Programmers – Triangle Wiki runs on free, open source software called LocalWiki. Check out the developer site for detailed instructions about how to get involved. Plan to connect with other programmers to help build features and look for ways to interface with the API.
Civic-minded people – How can the Triangle Wiki help local government and act as an innovation hub? This group can brainstorm on larger ideas.
- Date: Saturday, Feb 25, 2012
- Time: 9:30am to Afternoon
- Location: Red Hat headquarters, 1801 Varsity Drive
- Parking: The parking deck gate should be open
- Please RSVP
- Facebook Event
- Follow #TriWiki
Important traffic information: If you arrive on Centennial Campus between 8:45 and 9:15 am, we recommend you enter via Oval Drive off of Centennial Parkway. Take a right on Main Campus Drive. Take the first left on Partners Way. Go down the hill to the stop sign and make a right onto Varsity Drive. Take the first right and enter the Red Hat parking deck. See the map of the race at: http://g.co/maps/vvmgs
Police will be directing traffic on Centennial Campus, but you may experience delays due to the road race.
What to bring;
- laptop (sorry, ipads will not work with the wiki software)
- docking cables for ipod, camera
- ideas, knowledge, and a keen interest in building a great community website
- something to drink
Brought to you by CityCamp Raleigh, the Triangle Wiki initiative is another example of how using open source and collaboration is defining the City of Raleigh as a city of innovation and maintaining the Research Triangle as a leading technology region.
There is a growing momentum to open the wiki to the public in March. Join up with like-minded individuals and feed off the energy in the room as we produce hundreds of pages of content.
9:30 am – Welcome
- CityCamp Intro
- Keynote: Mary Ann Baldwin
9:30-10:00 am – What’s a wiki?
- Triangle Wiki and goals
- Message from LocalWiki Founder saying what’s the deal (video)
- Wiki 101 Class
- How to make a wiki profile
10:30 am – Break-out sessions
- Civic Minded Session
- Brainstorm around how Triangle Wiki can help the city/town
- Ideas are added to the wiki for others to watch
- Edit Party Session
- Document several specific part of downtown Raleigh / Public Art
- Warehouse District, Moore Square, Pullen Park, Bus Line 12 or 16, Mission Valley, North Hills, Fayetteville Street, Your favorite part of town
- Write content or add photos about anything in the Triangle. What I know is
- Innovate Raleigh mapping of assets
- Development environment
- System admins
- Functional/technical support
12:00-1:00 pm – Lunch
- Mission Valley
- Klausie’s pizza is scheduled to be on Centennial Campus
1:00 pm Triangle Wiki page count update
1:05 pm – until | Edit Party Continues